Writing is often a solitary pursuit where hours are spent on researching, drafting the idea and finally writing a piece. However, with the readily available stream of distractions like Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, writing quality content seems near to impossible.
But what if you had an access to a distraction free writing? Or a tool that drastically improves you writing and content readability? In regards to WordPress, there is a huge list of plugins developed especially for writers that could possibly do everything: proofreading, distraction free writing, editing, making your content SEO friendly and more.
In today’s post, we are going to share some of these plugins to help you improve your writing skills. Hope you like them
Contact Form 7 is one of the most popular and extremely useful WordPress plugins for a writer. It allows you to add a “contact us” form to your website to make it easy for your users to interact with you without displaying your email address. The plugin also comes with various customization options to manage multiple forms and customize forms. It also helps you to build email lists.
Additional features of Contact Form 7
- Send form entries directly to email address associated with your website user account
- Extremely easy to set up and create different forms
- Lets you add as many form fields as you need
Disqus Comment System is developed to improve WordPress’s inbuilt comment system. This WordPres plugin seamlessly incorporates using the Disqus API and syncs with WordPress comments. It makes commenting on a WordPress powered website a lot easier and more interactive while bridging the gap between commenters and sites across a blooming discussion community.
Additional features of Disqus Comment System
- Threaded comments and replies
- Notifications and reply by email
- Subscribe and RSS options
- Aggregated comments and social mentions
- Powerful moderation and admin tools
- Full spam filtering, blacklists, and whitelists
- Support for Disqus community widgets
Google Custom Search is an advanced and modest WordPress plugin that that integrates Google’s search engine power to help readers search your website’s content. You can also configure this plugin to search multiple websites/domains.
Additional features of Google Custom Search
- Is extremely lightweight and flexible and allows you to configure both the search box and search result
- Can be displayed either as a widget or placed anywhere in the code
- Lets you show results ordered by data and not by its relevancy to the keyword
- Allows you to configure it through Google to search multiple sites/domains
Google Doc Embedder, as the name suggests, allows you to embed many files into your WordPress website with the help of Google Docs Viewer – enabling optional downloading and inline viewing of a variety of file types with no PDF browser plugins and flash required.
Additional features of Google Doc Embedder
- Lets you embed different file formats directly into your page or post
- Supports a variety of file formats including PDF, DOCX/DOC, PPTX/PPT, SVG, DXF, ZIP/RAR, EPS/PS, PSD, AI, and more
- Comes translation ready
5. Digg Digg
Digg Digg is a popular social media sharing WordPress plugin that enables you to add various social media buttons to your website. You can also show the number of times your post has been shared and personalize it in a variety of ways, like adding left or right scrolling effects or making it a floating bar.
Additional features of Digg Digg
- Has lazy loading functionality to increase website performance
- Comes with Left or right scrolling effect like Mashable.com
- Supports excerpt mode
- Offers Support for print and email services
- Lets you add any social media button you can think of
Though Yoast SEO WordPress plugin is an SEO Plugin, it encourages writers and authors to write better content by forcing you to add one particular keyword for every page. Upon selecting a particular keyword for a page or post, it ensures that you use that keyword in your blog post including meta descriptions, page titles, headings, body copy and more.
Additional features of WordPress SEO by Yoast
- Comes with an import and export functionality
- Is fully multi-site compatible
- Comes integrated with social media sharing buttons
- Equipped with an inbuilt file editor which lets you edit robots.txt and .htaccess files
- Has built-in breadcrumbs functionality
- Offers the most advanced XML Sitemaps functionality
7. Just Writing
Just Writing is a great plugin for writers who are looking for a way to focus entirely on their writing with no distraction at all. The plugin allows you to add a bunch of additional commands to the toolbar such as cut, copy, paste, redo and undo, colors, alignment, headings, styling options for various paragraphs, spell check and more.
Additional features of Just Writing
- Equipped with an option to remove the fade effect and keep the toolbar visible
- Lets you lighten or hide the border in the title/body areas
- Enables you to hide the word count
- Comes integrated with an option to hide the editor mode bar and center the toolbar on screen
- Allows you to re-order the button list
- Comes with Per-user preferences for enabling Just Writing
- Lets you enable Browser full-screen mode
If you are like me who works on deadline and/or multiple projects, you’d find Editorial Calendar WordPress plugin extremely useful. It enables you to create post idea, see which posts are scheduled and published, and manage multiple authors on your website. It also allows you to easily manage draft with the help of an inbuilt draft drawer.
Additional features of Editorial Calendar
- Has a Drag and drop functionality to change your post dates.
- Comes with new drafts drawer to Manage your drafts.
- Lets you quickly edit post titles, contents, and even time.
- Allows you to manage drafts or Publish posts
- Lets you manage posts from multiple authors.
- Allows you to see the status of your posts.
Hate typos and grammatical errors? If so, Front-end editor might be right up to your alley. The plugin lets you edit typos and other errors directly from the front-end instead of signing in to your WordPress dashboard. However, this does not mean anybody can make changes to your published content. It only allows people with login credentials to make modifications.
Additional features of Front-end Editor
- Saves you from making plenty of trips to the backends
- Is highly compatible with any theme
- Extremely lightweight and fast
10. Revision Control
Revision Control is a must-have WordPress plugin for those who do not depend on an automated system to do the proofreading. The plugin gives you complete control over the process of proofreading that usually results in multiple revisions of the content.
Additional features of Revision Control
- Allows users to set a site-global setting for posts/pages
- Lets you enable/disable/limit the number of revisions allowed per post
- Comes with a Revisions Meta Box to enable user to change the above setting
Now that you know the best WordPress plugins for writers, you can choose the most suitable one for your website and build a beautiful, robust and feature-rich website in no time.
If you have any other relevant theme in your mind, don’t forget to share it in the comments section below.