Ultimate Facebook is a do-it-all Facebook plugin that makes it easy to integrate just about everything that is possible between your WordPress site and Facebook.
This plugin is particularly interesting because nowadays, so many users want to integrate their WordPress site with Facebook, and I still hadn’t found one plugin that can handle all my requirements, and of course those being requested by clients.
Sure, I had found smaller plugins that do one thing only, but it’s nice to have one plugin instead of three, less maintenance, tighter integration and generally less hassle. I’m happy to say that I’ve found that solution in Ultimate Facebook plugin.
In a nutshell here are the features this plugin provides:
- Facebook Connect – Allow, or force, users to register and login with their Facebook info – a login widget included
- User Profiles – Automatically fill in fields in user profiles when they register
- Autopost – Make it simple to post new content (custom post types as well!) to user’s walls, fan pages, events, or notes
- Comments - Import comments made on Facebook about a post into your WordPress site
- Like and Send Buttons - With every customization option imaginable – place on posts, pages, custom post types, or with available shortcodes
- OpenGraph - Have complete control over the thumbnail image posted to facebook when users like/send or you autopost
- Facebook Albums – Display images from a Facebook album – as a widget or using new icon in page/post editor
- Facebook Events - Show upcoming facebook events in a sidebar or with shortcodes
- Fan Page Widgets – Like box, facepile, and recommendations – with complete customization options built right in
As you can see, this plugin covers all the things users typically need to do when interfacing with Facebook, and gives us a few more ideas along the way. The available widgets are particularly handy, as is the possibility to customise them from right within the plugin.
It’s also cool that the folks at WPMUdev have provided a set of shortcodes you can use anywhere within your posts and pages, giving you more flexibility than other plugins which only automatically throw in a like button at the end of the post.
Another impressive feature is the Facebook connect which lets users sign in with the Facebook credentials, as well as filling in their user profile fields automatically. I also like the idea of being able to import from Facebook, as in the case of comments about posts which have been previously pushed from the WordPress site to Facebook.
Thumbs up for all these features, there is no doubt about this plugin attempting to encompass all features we need when dealing with Facebook integration.
Documentation and Support
To set up Ultimate Facebook you have a wizard which guides you through the whole steps, while the interface is built using the WordPress admin API, so everything looks familiar. The plugin also makes use of the WordPress tooltip boxes introduced in version 3.3 for helping you in setting the plugin up.
Documentation is to be found online on the plugin’s page, and covers all the features thoroughly. The forums are usually buzzing with daily activity and I can see helpful responses from the WPMUdev support staff and the plugin author himself when required.
To download Ultimate Facebook and use it on unlimited websites, you can purchase it for $39 (includes 1 month upgrades and support), or become a member at WPMUdev on a yearly basis. If you decide to sign up to WPMUdev you get Ultimate Facebook plus all the other plugins by WPMUdev. All access pricing is as low as $79, so it’s quite worthwhile if you need more than one plugin.
Conclusion: Ultimate Facebook Plugin has been downloaded over 22,000 times already, and I can see why it’s so popular given its vast feature set. It’s got everything you need for complete WordPress-Facebook integration, is generously documented and well-supported. And that, my friends, are all ingredients that make up a great plugin that I highly recommend.
Would you like us to review your plugin, site or theme on WPMayor? Check out our sponsored post and paid review service page.