WPML 2.8 is soon to be released and we’re glad to have a preview of some of the new features to whet your appetite:
Support for using different domains for languages in Multisite WordPress setups
Using WPML 2.8 it’s possible to create a multilingual site in which each language corresponds to a different domain while the site is part of a WordPress Multisite setup. This is done with a drop in that’s included the new plugin release.
Mobile friendly language switcher and options to order languages
WPML 2.8 offers the possibility of enabling a mobile friendly language switcher that does not rely on the mouse-over effect which is not available by default in mobile devices. Instead, the language drop downs is based on the click event.
Allow logging in from on different domains
Up until now one could only log in on the domain corresponding to the default language while using the multiple domains options for language urls. The new version offers the possibility of logging in on each separated domain.
Set custom order for languages in language switcher
With WPML 2.8 languages can be arranged in a custom order for the language switchers and not only by name, id or code. Until now this was possible only with using custom built language switcher but now this is available with the built in language switcher available in WPML.
WordPress translation refactored
Using the String Translation add-on translating the WordPress interface is at a few clicks away. You don’t have to manually download and set up the files that include the translations – you just select the languages that you want translations for, check availability and click to import the translations.
What’s new in this version is that we refactored large parts of it so now the full set of translated texts is imported and not just a partial list like it was happening for some languages.
The bugs and the little tweaks
- WPML Media – problems with duplicating attachments
- Added a filter for _parse_wpml_config – allow setting translation properties to custom types, fields etc * without using a wpml-config.xml file
- Fixes for parsing wpml-config.xml for certain situations when multiple configuration files were present
- Tags of secondary language get deleted when editing post
- Translate by WPML option is disabled
- Admin language as edit language is not working
- Media Translation produces incorrect URLs in Windows
- Warnings approving and replying to comments
- Notices and Warnings when resetting a language Translation Editor: Insert/edit link dialogue does not filter by page list by language.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to subscribe to WP Mayor’s RSS feed.